Friday, September 15, 2006

a fresh loaf & some jewish humour

here is one of the loaves of bread i made. this one does not use the starter but rather a fermented "quick" overnight starter. it is a half and half wholewheat & white sandwich bread. it was perfect for sandwiches and i am very happy with it. it uses milk which makes it dairy. when i make it again, i will experiment and use [pareve] soy milk and compare.

i currently have a challah in the fridge which is fermenting overnight. this is a new recipe which i will report on and post pictures for if i like it. it is a maggie glezer recipe. and yes, most of my breads are fermented. the point of this slow method is the development of flavour. it works.

and now for a little humour:

A Jewish young man is in love with a native American Indian called Rising Lilly. The only problem is, he has been afraid to tell his parents that she isn't Jewish as he knows they will not approve.

He finally gets up the courage to invite her over his parent's house for dinner. He tells his parents, "my girlfriend is coming for dinner. I love her and I think I want to marry her. I hope you will like her."

When Rising Lilly arrives, his mother says to her, "come into the kitchen with me and help me prepare dinner." So she goes. Meanwhile, the man is very nervous and is pacing back and forth hoping that his mother will like her.

When Rising Lilly comes out from the kitchen, he says to her, "so what happened? did she like you?" And she replies, "yes very much so. She was even talking about taking up an Indian name." "An Indian name?? What are you talking about??" And she replies, "well your mother said something about next week she's going to be Sitting Shiva."
[shiva = 7 day period of mourning jews observe after the death of a direct family member]


2 comments:

Beenzzz said...

HAHAHAHAHHA! OK, it took me a minute to get that. Yes, I'm a little slow on the uptake. I read the definition and then I understood the joke. For some reason I thought Shiva was referring to the Hindu god Siva. I think I need more sleep or coffee or something! :))

burekaboy — said...

wakey! wakey! and to think i was actually going to add, 'for my indian readers, i'm not talking lord shiva!'

glad you got it, and liked it. i found it very cute.