Tuesday, February 06, 2007

fries on the sly

these french fries are great. instead of being fried in oil as they are usually done, these imposters are baked and actually taste just as good as their fat laden confrères.

they are also nice and spicy. the egg white used in the recipe helps them become nice and crispy on the outside and remain soft inside. it acts as sort of a barrier, locking in the moisture and, at the same time, as an adhesive for the spices to stay put. while nothing will every replace fries done in oil, these are a close second, especially if you are trying to stay away from deep fried foods. also important is to use a russet or idaho type potato meant for baking.


no fry french fries

ingredients:

3 russet potatoes
1 egg white or egg replacer
1 1/2 tsp cajun spice or similar [or make your own]

a gift from a friend from louisiana .... hot stuff!

method:

preheat oven to 425 F. place rack in lowest position.

olive oil for greasing baking sheet.

cut potatoes with skin on lengthwise and then again into 1/4 slices.

cut each slice into 1/4 inch fries.

place all fries in a big bowl with the egg white and the spices and mix well with your hands or a wooden spoon.

once well coated place them on a lightly greased baking sheet to prevent sticking. if you can, use parchment paper as the silicone coating on it also helps to prevent sticking.

spread them out to try to make a single layer.

bake them for 10 minutes and then remove from oven. turn them over and mix them up a bit. repeat this several times, every 10 minutes until they are done to your liking. note that initially, the egg white coating will look gross strange, keep baking and it will disappear; it is just the white of the egg setting against the moisture being exuded from the fries as they bake.

part way through cooking [note they will still be flexible]:

finished [hard to see here but they will be crispier and won't really bend]:


get out your favourite ketchup or dip!

enjoy!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

SLURP!!!! Can I have one??? :)

Emily DeVoto, Ph.D., said...

What? No oil at all? Que milagro!

BB, you've just found my biggest weakness...

Beenzzz said...

Hi BB,
That Tony Cachere's Cajun seasoning is good on just about everything. We used to cook with it a lot a few years back. These fries look delicious!

ServesYouRight said...

oooh - fabulous! If you say they taste just as good as the real deal, my money is on them. I completely trust your palate. Especially because on one of your previous posts, I remember coming across the term 'deep fried goodness' :-)

Smita

ML said...

Yum, I love cooking fries that way. I love your pictures!

Jihan said...

I always feel funny about eating fries with the skin on, but when am hungry I eat it though...

Anonymous said...

funny that! i was jus discussing my love for ketchup. mmmmm, no better vehicle than fries. noway! yum, these look awesome, i like baked fries sometimes better, less greasy to eat :)

Anonymous said...

have to say they turned out to be really good

Anonymous said...

can i have one too..? look really makes mouth watery

Anonymous said...

They remind me of baked skins potatoes, at least thats the way I know them, but this ones should be their little brothers.

TopChamp said...

Yum - my Mum made these when she came to stay as I only had some spuds - nothing else to eat in the house (was working ALL the time). They use it at weight watchers.

Thought I'd update you on the Brownies' cookery: I took a basic biscuit recipe (flour, butter, vanilla essence, sugar, egg) and we mixed up all the ingredients with some pink dye - thanks for that suggestion! Apart from the egg which I forgot. I got them to weigh it all and to pour it in the mixer. They all got 1 stir then I electric mixed it til it started to bond and then passed it back for one squidge each. We then rolled it, cut it, I baked it and they took two each home. They should really have had three but I couldn't get the last batch cooked in time. So it went pretty well really - esp as the other leader was off sick.

TopChamp said...

I wondered about ketchup too: Is it only Heinz that has the watery bit? I tried Branstons yesterday and it didn't.

Cheryl said...

Yum! Definitely going to try this on the weekend. We haven't had french fries for ... eons! :-)

Linda said...

yum. i recently made butternut squash fries --- mmm greasy goodness! these look delish!

TNL said...

These are a delight!! Must make them for my two li'l ones..

Trupti

Mrs. M. said...

I like roasted potatoes better than real French fries. These “fake” fries are one of the few worthwhile recipes I discovered when I was on a fat-free kick in high school . Sometimes I cut the potatoes into matchsticks, like yours, sometimes I just slice them into wedges and drizzle with a little olive oil. They’re great with ketchup.

burekaboy — said...

coffee - hehe, you can have more than one! :D

emily - these are actually very good considering there's no oil involved, except for greasing the baking sheets. que milagro, is right!

beenzzz - first time i tried chachere's creole spice was when my friend gave this huge bottle of it. it's hot and spicy but good on everything!! :P

smita - would i steer YOU wrong?!? LOL :D

ml - thanx for the compliments :)

PJ - they are actually very good with the skins on, you just have to wash the potatoes well and make sure they aren't damaged.

aria - hehe, remember what i wrote about how you pour the ketchup!!

anonymous - hi there, thanks for the feedback. glad you like them! :)

sadhana_4s - thanks for stopping by and the comment. you can have your fill :) virtually speaking, there aren't any calories!!

roberto - i think you'd be right about them being like the little brothers. they still come out like fries though!

TC - glad to hear you got the project squared away with the brownies group :) i'm sure the girls loved the pink part!! LOL.

i think i've seen these as a WW recipe, too.

heinz is watery?? never had that problem. or u mean after it's sat a while in the fridge?

ostara - these are definitely worth making. i sometimes just use plain old salt and pepper to spice them up. even adding paprika, garlic salt and oregano or thyme is good, too. wonder what sam would have to say??

linda - never had them that way with other vegetables but i imagine these would be great with parsnips too. i'm not a big squash person. my friend has made these with sweet potatoes.

trupti - 2?? i thought you had 1!! LOL. hope they like them. much healthier than fried in oil.

yulinka! - hey there :D i actually like these fries a lot too and have also tried doing them in wedges .... only thing is i'm too impatient and like making them matchstick style to speed up the cooking!!

Pamela said...

Hi Burekaboy,

Yummaroonie, these look very nice, I will have to try them! I love potatoes and if I were cast away on a desert island with only one choice of food it would be the potato. French fries are my all time favourite food in the whole world!

burekaboy — said...

pammie - hope you do try 'em sometime :) potatoes are one of my faves, too.