Monday, September 10, 2007

holiday chicken

lemon honey chicken


a very simple dish to prepare with few ingredients, this one is great for rosh hashanah when many of the dishes we eat are on the sweeter side. while the recipe can be made without coating the chicken, it is 100 times better if you take the time to do it.

ingredients:

1 chicken, cut into serving pieces
1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt and pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder and onion powder
1 egg
1 1/2 c matzo meal or dry bread crumbs

1/2 c honey
rind of 1 large lemon, cut in big strips w/ peeler
juice of 1/2 lemon or whole lemon

method:
  • in a large ziploc type bag, mix together the flour with the spices;
  • place the matzo meal or breadcrumbs in another ziploc or on a plate;
  • beat the egg in a large bowl and set aside;
  • add the chicken pieces to the ziploc with the flour, close it up and coat well. remove to a plate;
  • add the chicken pieces (washed and dried off) one or two at a time to the egg and coat them well;
  • add the chicken one or two at a time to the bread crumbs or matzo meal and coat completely. remove to a plate as you do it;
  • heat a large fry pan or dutch oven with about 1/4 inch of oil and fry the pieces over medium heat until they are somewhat browned. it will take about 10 minutes or so. remove them to a plate with paper towel. they will not be cooked at this point;
  • preheat the oven to 350F;
  • zest the lemon with a potato peeler into large strips; cut the strips into 1/2 inch pieces;
  • place the chicken in a pyrex and scatter the lemon zest all around;
  • drizzle the honey all over the chicken pieces and then the juice from the lemon (either half of the lemon or the whole lemon -- your choice).
bake for about 40 to 50 minutes uncovered.

enjoy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This recipe looks and sounds fantastic. Easy too. I'll have to try it soon.

Shanna tova!

burekaboy — said...

hi pam - glad to see you :) a happy, healthy and prosperous new year to you.

as for the recipe, it's totally the easiest thing to make and like most things with minimal ingredients, it turns out great. hope you like it if you give it a try.

Wendy Withers said...

I made this for a class. It turned out really good, but unfortunately, it ended up burning a little in my convection oven. Once I figure that part out, I'll probably make it whenever I can. Thank you for posting it.

burekaboy — said...

hi wendy - welcome and thanks for your visit :)

sorry to hear the chicken burned a little :( convection ovens do indeed cook more quickly than conventional ones -- i don't have one so it never occurs to me to mention cooking times for that type of oven.

in the end, what matters is how it tasted and i'm happy to hear you liked it :) i hope it was worth trying again! btw, you may like the za'atar one i just posted a few days ago which is even simpler, as no coating the chicken is involved. it's very fast to prepare and extremely tasty.

thanks again for trying out the recipe and giving me feedback. hope to "see" you again :) regards.

Wendy Withers said...

You update so often, it can be hard to keep up! I modified this recipe to make kosher fried chicken, because my anthropology professor challenged me to come up with a recipe that would have worked in the South. It came out perfectly, and everyone agreed it was the best fried chicken they've ever had. Now my recipe assignment's over, I'm going to have to move on to your other recipes and try them!

burekaboy — said...

hi wendy - lol, yes, i guess i am a little prolific when it comes to posting. i have a lot of previously saved/written content.

mazal tov on the recipe modification; sounds great -- if you have a blog you should post your recipe. i'd love to see it (and taste it!). southern fried chicken is a no-no in terms of kashrut since it's traditionally made with buttermilk as i'm sure you know. sounds like it was an interesting challenge! what are you studying?

hope you find some other things you like. there's a little over a year's content to peruse :)

thanks for getting back to me and hope to 'see' you again.

Wendy Withers said...

I'm graduating in May with a major in journalism and a minor in anthropology. I have an anthropology research course where I'm studying how Jewish culture has changed for women in the South, mainly in Florida. Our professor wanted to get us into our studies without much fuss, so she had us choose a recipe to start with and go to an ethnic store to get help and supplies. She also asked me how I could make fried chicken kosher, citing the whole butter milk thing, so after I burnt my first chicken, I decided to try your recipe as fried chicken, instead. My hot plates are a lot more reliable than the oven, which I'm still getting used to. (My landlady didn't put an oven in my study thinking that no one cooks any more. She's a federal immigration lawyer, so she wouldn't have time to cook if she wanted to.) So, now that I've babbled on and on, thank you once again. I'll probably post something about the project in my blog tomorrow and link to your original recipe for comparison.

burekaboy — said...

wendy - sounds like a highly interesting project or way to learn about the culture. glad that you ended up with a winning end product and looking forward to reading your posting about it when you have it up. also am happy to read something from my blog provided you with a dish you could work with and tailor to meet your needs. let's hope you end(ed) up with an A+!

good luck with finishing your courses and degree. happy (future) cooking and mastery of that stove ;) regards.