Monday, September 22, 2008

peach butter crust tarte

okay, i'm a bit late with this post. however, seeing as peach season is just behind us, there still must be a few still readily available at reasonable prices. i'm sure it can be made with drained canned peaches, too, if fresh ones aren't available or are prohibitively costly. better yet, use frozen sliced ones which are available at some supermarkets in the freezer section.

the filling for this tarte consists of nothing much more than peaches, some sugar and flour. that's it, besides a sprinkling of cinnamon and splash of amaretto or peach schnapps liqueur if you like. using the dough recipe in my previous post, the pastry can be made in the morning and refrigerated, with the rest of the recipe finished later on. the most tedious part, though very simple, is removing the skin from the peaches.

this tarte is, in my opinion, at its best once it's been refrigerated. the delay seems to improve the flavour and texture of this easy-to-make dessert.
hope you like it.....


peach butter crust tarte

serves 6 to 8

ingredients:

1 pastry recipe

6 to 8 good sized peaches, skinned & sliced thinly (see this post)
3 tbsp flour
8 tbsp sugar
1 - 1 1/2 tbsp amaretto or peach schnapps (optional)

cinnamon

crushed amaretti cookies, optional

method:

preheat your oven to 375F.

skin and slice your peaches (approx 1/4" thick). place them in a medium sized bowl.

add the sugar and flour to the peaches. add the amaretto or peach schnapps, if using.

stir well. they will look thickly coated at first.

wait 10 minutes or until you see the juices develop.

place the peaches carefully into the chilled pastry in the tarte pan.

place the tarte on a lined baking sheet in order to avoid any possible spillage during baking.

sprinkle with cinnamon if desired and crushed amaretti (almond) cookies.

bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.

remove from oven and let cool completely.

refrigerate and serve.


enjoy!

12 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A beautiful tart! I bet it tastes great! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

pepsakoy said...

Fabulous !!

Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

Oh my god that is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

mmmm! still haven't made your cookies and, again, a something else to try!!!

TopChamp said...

peaches here are still quite hard so I really could try this recipe. I think I'll give it a go. Obviously it'll be WITH booze.

burekaboy — said...

rosa - thanks. indeed it does!

koy - :))) you'd probably like this one.

tbtam - thank you! it's as good as it looks.

sari - it's worth a try -- you know, cookies AND peach tart, not a bad combo. LOL.

TC - would i think any different ... of course, it will be WITH booze. amaretto is good :) honestly, this is a SIMPLE thing to throw together. hope you like it. i'm not too sure about using hard peaches - just make sure they're ripe enough to be edible.

TopChamp said...

I'm gonna do it tomorrow. I think. Although I've prepared curry and it might not go that well..... unless I serve it with icecream in which case it might go very nicely.

Determined that I won't be sidetracked by the super-easy-and-mightily-delicious-looking apple cake before I do the peach thing.

I found a load of sloe bushes at the weekend so am about to embark on sloe gin too.

burekaboy — said...

TC - i'm excited to hear how it turns out for you and hoping you'll like it (and not get sidetracked as you say!). i bet the tarte would be excellent with ice cream but maybe not the ending to an indian type meal ;p

LOL, have never in my life seen a sloe bush. the only sloe i've ever seen has been on a label of a bottle of gin. i gather you mean the berries ..... starting a home distillery, are you?! hehe.

TopChamp said...

I think a home distillery might be my undoing! However 2 bottles of sloe gin are sitting there doing their thing now til Christmas.

Nectarines (no peaches left in shop) are soaking up a very generous slug of peach schnapps ready for tomorrow. Aye I know - I said I'd do it ages ago. This time I have the pastry ready though so it's a definite goer.

TopChamp said...

Boyfriend loved it. I drank most of the peach schnapps.... bad plan.

burekaboy — said...

TC - LOL @ you. i can just imagine your little home distillery, bottles everywhere and alcohol fumes wafting throughout the apartment! did you document 'a la blog' your sloe gin experiment? sorry haven't popped in for ages ;(

glad to read the BF loved it. does that mean you weren't too impressed?? or did the schnapps impair your judgment?! ;))

TopChamp said...

hello - it means I woke up with a sore head.. but when I tried it the next day I liked it very much. Unfortunately having drunk the schnapps before making the tart I got muddled up with instructions. I'll put a photo up now.